Get a Scholarship
Thanks to our generous supporters, local and international alike, you can receive a participation scholarship to join the event. Together with our supporters, we proudly announce scholarships to several students (or non-students in some cases) who actively participate in the conference (with poster, workshop, tutorial, and hackathon).
A few scholarships will be offered to students who do not actively contribute to the program but have shown exceptional interest in the relevant fields and are preferably in the first year(s) of their studies.
There are two scholarship types.
- Regular: Open to students currently studying in a university or equivalent educational institute in Europe, as evidenced by your emails.
- Volunteer Student Members: This will be open to student volunteers.
At most, 30% of the scholarship budget will be reserved for student volunteers in the OC. Other conditions may apply.
The purpose of our participation scholarship, is to encourage women in the field of computing to:
- Accelerate in their careers through learning from others and asking for help when necessary;
- Converse with others on how best to manage their work-life balance; and
- Meet with their peers to build on their networks of expertise.
This scholarship award is a note of appreciation for your participation. It covers a free womENcourage registration, and the application deadlines can be found on the Call to Take part page.
The applications require an abstract indicating the relevance of womENcourage to the applicant. More detailed guidelines can be found below.
We aim to provide scholarships to as many different academic levels, universities, and across as many different countries as possible to promote the ACM and encourage networking of our participants in their chosen fields. Active contribution and volunteering are the basis of our scholarship, which is open to all genders and all fields directly related to computing.
For more information, please get in touch with our scholarship chairs.
Guide to a Successful Application
What are the application review procedures?
- The applications should be filled in online before the closing date. The applications require an abstract indicating the relevance of womENcourage to the applicant.
The review process will take approximately one month.
- Applicants will be notified of the outcome of the review process via the email provided by the learner on the application form. The date of notification is indicated in our Important Dates.
Attendance at the event is required to receive the scholarship.
Who is eligible?
- Applicants must be undergraduate or postgraduate students in good academic standing in full-time education or, in exceptional circumstances, early career educators or researchers.
- The applicant must currently study in a European university or equivalent educational institute.
- The applicant’s field of study should be a computing or directly related field.
- The applicant must not have received a womENcourage grant or participation scholarship in the previous year (2022). If you did not receive a scholarship in the previous year but did in any other year, you may apply again this year.
- The applicant may have an accepted poster/workshop/tutorial, but it is not essential. A few scholarships will be offered to students who do not actively contribute to the program but have shown exceptional interest in the relevant fields and are preferably in the first year(s) of their studies.
- In the event of multiple authorship, each author should apply separately for the participation scholarship and will be considered separately.
- The applicant must provide a curriculum vitae of no more than two pages in PDF format.
- The applicant’s supervisor or lecturer must fill out the required form. Without this form, the applicant will not be considered for the scholarship, and their application is deemed invalid.
- Applications must be made through the online system. Email applications will not be considered.
- The email address provided by the applicant on the form must be the student’s university email account (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The participant must accept the scholarship within the given time frame (usually two weeks) from the date of notification. If the scholarship is not accepted, it will be reallocated to the next eligible participant.
How can I apply?
- Applications can be made through the online form, which will be available soon.
- Remember to think carefully about why you would like to attend the event when filling in the form.
I am a part-time student; can I still apply?
- Yes, you can apply. We do not distinguish between full-time and part-time students.
I am a male; can I still apply?
- Yes, you can apply. We strongly encourage diversity.
If I get a poster accepted, does that mean I get a scholarship?
- The poster applications and the participation scholarships are separate processes. You must apply separately for this scholarship.
- Where a poster has multiple authors, each author interested in the scholarship must separately apply for the scholarship. Each application is evaluated separately based on the merits of its application.
- Having a poster accepted does not guarantee nor exclude you from an award.
What happens if I cannot attend?
- You must notify us as early as possible so that we can give the award to the next eligible scholarship applicant.
- If you do not respond to the award email by the allocated date, we assume you cannot attend and will forward the award to the next applicant.
What are the selection criteria?
- At least three reviewers will typically review each application. To ensure fairness, an application will not be reviewed by a reviewer from the institution or any affiliation with the applicant. A further group of reviewers then reviews the committee reviews before the final selection of awardees is made. Some points to keep in mind include:
- Is your statement of relevance tailored for the womENcourage? Does it focus on the aims and objectives of the womENcourage participation scholarships? Consider why you wish to attend this event.
- Do you have a poster accepted to present at the conference?
- Do you have a workshop or tutorial accepted to present at the conference? Note that the workshop and tutorial presenters have free registration. But you can still apply for the scholarship for other benefits (ACM membership, traveling support).
- Will you apply to attend the Hackathon at the event?
- Did you fill in all of the fields in the application form? Make sure that each field has the correct information. Does the applicant’s name on the Scholarship match that of the one on the poster/paper application? Does the name match exactly with the details of your bank account? If you have made any mistakes, please email the participation scholarship committee.
- Ask your supervisor(s) if they can fill in the recommendation form. If they are unavailable during the time period immediately after the closing date, you should consider selecting another recommender. Check with your recommender if they have filled in their required section after the closing date for applications. The recommender must be a lecturer/professor/dean from the university you are currently a student. The recommender cannot be an applicant for a scholarship, nor can it be another student. Your application cannot be considered without a recommendation letter from your university.
- We hope to sponsor as many applicants as possible from various academic levels, universities, and countries to help encourage diversity.
- We encourage applicants of all genders to apply for the participation scholarship and any other available scholarship.
- Note: The information in this document is subject to change.
What are the requirements if I am awarded the scholarship?
- Applicants must attend all of the dates of the womENcourage event.
- Applicants agree to authorize the usage of their tagged and untagged images from the event as appropriate for advertisement purposes.
- Applicants may be asked to assist with the event. It is essential to be responsive when such an invitation to assist with the conference organization is made. In some cases, failure to carry out the volunteer work can result in loss of the scholarship, except where health or other reasons preclude them from carrying out tasks.
- The applicants must sign an attendance form and present national identification with a photograph such as a passport or a driver’s license.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that their visas and other travel arrangements have been organized before traveling.
- Applications for scholarships after the closing date will not be possible.
What happens if I don’t get the scholarship?
- There are many sources of funding, some of which come from our generous sponsors.
- Refer to the ACM-W website for ideas.
- Check EUGAIN COST Action for conference traveling support, available to early-career researchers from inclusiveness target countries involved in the COST Action.
- Check Google Travel and Conference Grants.