womENcourage Participation Scholarship Information
ACM-W Europe Celebration of Women in Computing: womENcourage and their supporters are proud to announce Participation Scholarships to a number of students who participate in the hackaton, or present posters at womENcourage. A small number of participation scholarships will be offered to students who do not participate actively, but have shown exceptional interest in the relevant fields.
|Scholarship submission deadline||May 27th, 2019|
|Scholarship notification deadline||June 21st, 2019|
The purpose of these scholarships is to encourage women in the field of computing to:
- Accelerate in their career through learning from others and asking for help when necessary;
- Converse with others on how best to manage their work life balance;
- Meet with their peers in order to build on their networks of expertise, and be inspired by many scientifically renowned invited speakers who will present new and fascinating interdisciplinary topics of Computer Science.
We welcome most strongly applicants for the Hackathon. The award amounts are based on the applicant’s zone and not on the actual expense of traveling to attend the conference. Zone 0 includes Roma and the surrounding area. Zone 0 grants will include the registration fee. Zone 1 include areas outside of Zone 0. Zone 1 includes registration fee, accommodation and a small monetary award. Award types and amounts will vary depending on the sponsorship received but will not exceed €500 including accommodation and registration fees. This is to enable sponsorship of as many applicants as possible.
The application form is available here
- Applicants must be an undergraduate or postgraduate student in good academic standing in full-time education.
- The applicant must be currently studying in a European university or equivalent educational institute.
- The applicant’s field of study should be computer science or a directly related field.
- The applicant must not have received a womENcourage grant or scholarship in the previous year (2018). The applicant can re-apply every two years.
- In the event of dual authorship each applicant should apply separately for the scholarship and will be considered separately.
- The applicant must provide a curriculum vitae of no more than 2 pages length in pdf format.
- The applicant’s supervisor or lecturer must fill out the required form. The recommender must not be another student. Without this form the applicant may not be considered for the scholarship.
- Applications must be made through the on-line system. Email applications will not be considered.
- The email address provided by the applicant on the form must be the student’s university email account.
- The scholarship is awarded subject to the applicant carrying out a set number of hours volunteering work for the conference committee.
Application Review Procedures
- The applications should be filled in on-line before the closing date ( Application here ). Refer to the website for the closing date. The applications require an explanation indicating the relevance of womENcourage to the applicant.
- The review process will take approximately one month.
- Applicants will be notified of the outcome of the review process via email. The date of notification will be indicated on the website.
- Attendance at the event is required to receive the scholarship.
- If successful, the applicant will be required to furnish bank details and, where required, taxation details. It is important to have these details ready in advance as organising bank transfers takes time. This information will be required immediately after notification of success of the application. The money will be paid directly into the applicant’s bank account. Cheques will not be provided.
- It is expected that the scholarships will be paid three to four weeks after the final date of the womENcourage Celebration of Women in Computing. WomENcourage will not be held responsible for any delay in receiving the scholarship.
- Funds cannot be advanced or increased.
- If the applicant fails to attend womENcourage for any reason the scholarship will not be paid.
- The applicant must attend all of the dates of the womENcourage and present themselves for both tagged and non-tagged photographs as indicated by the scholarship committee.
- The applicants will be required to sign an attendance form and present national identification with a photograph such as a passport or driver’s licence.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that their visa’s and other travel arrangements have been organised in advance of travelling.
- Applications for scholarship after the closing date will not be entertained.
- Applicants must sign the authorization to utilise their tagged and untagged images from the event as appropriate for advertisement purposes. The authorization will be provided during the first day of the event.
- Applicants will be required to carry out a designated task to assist with the conference.
- Failure to carry out the volunteer work will result in loss of the scholarship except where the applicant has medical reasons that precludes them from the work.
The womENcourage Participation Scholarship Committee and the reviewers will review the applications. Each application will be reviewed by a number of reviewers. To ensure fairness an application will not be reviewed by a reviewer from the same university. Some points to keep in mind include:
- Did you apply to attend the Hackathon at the event?
- Did you apply to present a poster at the event?
- Is your statement of relevance tailored for the womENcourage. Does it focus on the aims and objectives of womENcourage? Consider why you wish to attend this event.
- Did you fill in all of the fields in the application form? Make sure that each field has the correct information. Does the name on the Scholarship match that of the one on the poster/paper application? Does the name match exactly with the details of your bank account? If you have made any mistake please email the scholarship committee.
- Ask your supervisor if s/he can fill in the recommendation form. If s/he is unavailable during the time period immediately after the closing date you should consider selecting another recommender. Check with your recommender if s/he has filled in their require section after the closing date for applications. The recommender must be from the university of which you are currently a student.
Note: The information in this document is subject to change.
Please review the most up to date documentation on the website before final submission of your application. All relevant dates can be found on the website. If you have any further questions please email the scholarship committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.